Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Public Library


It is now a habit for me, to visit the nearby public library in the small county of West Valley City, UT, which is reachable in 15 minutes by the speed at which I walk. (I walk at normal speed – Normal speed as per Indian standards). I did not expect much from a public library, nevertheless was eager to become a member. But the moment I learnt that they had a website, I thought they must be having something more. And yes, they had a LOT. The website itself was an ultimate network connecting the libraries in the neighboring counties. Right from placing a “hold” on a book which was in any of the county, to extending the features of the library for the blind, the library offers a variety of features.

When I went to the library, I was so impressed by the way the kids use it. The Library has a complete section for the kids, which include everything from audio CDs, DVDs, to toys. The interest with which the kids come here is itself a must see sight. Who said the Niagara is the most beautiful place in the world? Now, who is that saying, have you never once been to the Disney Land? It is to those people, I ask this question – Have you ever seen a toddler come and ask questions to a librarian and then search the books and read them? That is what you should call it as “cute”.

Most importantly, since it is a public library, access to all materials including DVDs are completely free. The membership is also free. The segregation for kids, young adults, adults with respect to the Fiction works are clearly made. Internet access is also free and every Saturday, when I pay my visit to the library, I can always see a buzz of activity, with toddlers, to young adults to senior citizens.

The library here, also conducts training classes like “How to use Internet”, “Using Word/Excel/PowerPoint” etcetera. There are many volunteers for the training classes as well as for the library maintenance. The ardor with which the librarians work and help the people should be mentioned, as you can see hospitality to eagerness to sincerity in their work.

I look forward for my Saturday, not just for the weekend life, but also for my visit to my dear library, in which I am a member and for which I have planned to do some volunteer work very soon.

More thoughts…

1 comment:

Vidhya Rajesh said...

I ENVY you "Jealous" Ram ... Waah! Waah! I want to get back to US to the public library ....
One of the bestest things about the US, is the library ... it has never failed to fascinate me, no matter how many times I have visited it ... It was courtesy to this public library that Rajesh and me had our NY tour ...