Friday, February 03, 2006

Everybody Loves Raymond

Well, as I mentioned in one of my earlier blogs, soaps being my cuppa tea, the first and perhaps the most frequently watched soap in the US by me, is "Everybody Loves Raymond" - And I am no exception to it! With the base story line that is so very similar to our Indian family and comedy soaps, this daily serial brings in some nostalgia. It is somewhat similar to my most favorite serial back home in India - "Tu Tu Main Main" - the tug of war between the daughter in law and the mother in law. ELR is quite similar to it, only difference being the hero has a brother who provides us an equally fair amount of laughs.

ELR is ordinary comedy soap, and the key thing that would make a normal show, a lively and a hit show is based on the characters you choose to act - to a major extent. In ELR, the characters do not act - they rather live. This key difference is what makes this show a hearty family soap.

Penned around Raymond and Debra, the lead couple, the story is all about the differences they have and their love for each other and how they put up with Ray's parents who happens to live just across the street, nevertheless are always in Ray's home! With 3 kids, Debra has a tough time and tries her best to control her tempers when her sweet old mom in law (Marie) interferes!

Aired at 10:00pm every night, this show is comfortable for onsite bachelors to watch while having dinner! Either before the offshore call or after the offshore call, ELR comes as a welcome break! Well folks, it is time for ELR and I am off to fall in love with a program that makes me laugh heartily!

With more thoughts...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ram :-)
You sure love this soap huh! Well me too...I remember one weekend,there were continuous 3 hrs non-stop ELR..and my friends and I didnt move an inch!!
Keep writing...I'll visit u'r blogs..