Friday, April 27, 2007

Basketball Diaries

Now that I have 2 room-mates, I am getting used to the things that occur normally in their (er - well now it’s our) house. One such normal thing that happens is watching basketball in the television. Yes, I do admit it is very normal - but I have never watched a basketball sports program in the TV before. Nor have I been a part of or rather even heard discussions about basketball.

I have realized that basketball is something that my roomies include in their mundane activity. With the National BasketBall Championship games on air now, its basketball that is in air, water, earth, sky and fire. It is very amusing and entertaining to watch the frenzied face of my friend when he speaks about basketball. And when ever he does, the topic proved to be "Greeker" than Greek

Speaking with my roomies has given me the basic gyan about basketball - basic and ample enough to write the following trivia!
1. 2 teams each of 5 players participate in this game
2. It’s played for 48 minutes divided equally into 4 quarters.
Thanks to wikipedia the game was founded and coined by Dr. James Naismith, a Canadian. He had incorporated the rules for this game from a Canadian children's game called "Duck on a Rock".

Well as for me besides the recent knowledge of basketball, I must admit I had enjoyed the game when it came out blended with action and drama in the form a wonderful Hollywood movie "Glory Road" - a movie that I watched mid air on route to the US of A from India. Until I moved into my new home in the Orion Way, Glory Road was the only entry in the basketball diary that I had!

With more thoughts...

No comments: