Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The ESPY Awards

It’s been quite some time I blogged and is it probably because I am running out of topic? Or is it sheer laziness to learn or find a topic itself? Whatever the case be, I found a topic worthy to blog. Most surprisingly this topic is regarding something that I never have interest. For people who know me well enough, they would have realized by this time that its going to be Sports!

And it so happened that on this late Sunday evening, when I was watching some 'had to see TV - else I have nothing to do' program! My roomie walked into the living room and he was browsing his favorite channels to see and suddenly this ESPY awards caught his eyes. ESPN - huh! that's one channel I never knew even existed - probably I would even call is YES-PEN instead of ESPN as 'Marie' would call in Everybody Loves Raymond.

ESPY awards is an award show that recognizes outstanding sports personalities - Best athlete, team, moment and so many other categories. Now I must tell you that - I am really a fan of watching award shows. So despite being an ESPN program, I sat straight, back all tall and lean. And I never thought I had watched an award show as good as this. There were 2 categories that touched my heart. One was the newly introduced award called Jimmy V award. Well this award went to a lady coach for her perseverance in sports - she was infact the person the whole team looked up as their role model. The reason - In her ongoing 65th year she had been identified for the 3rd time in her life for cancer and she fights the disease and makes the most of her life. Should I tell more for her perseverance?

Now if you asked who is this Jimmy V? He was yet another remarkable sports personality who died of cancer and founded the Jimmy V foundation for cancer research!

Now the other award was the Author Ashe award for 2 wonderful personalities who bring a change in people lives even today by teaching sports. Northern Ireland is a place notorious for the clashes between the Catholics and Protestants. Two men who were brought up in all this religious clashes found solace, safety and salvation in sports. They excelled every second they were playing - alas when they came out to the real world - they had to cope up with bloody wars. They both did not ask for much - they wanted their kith and kin to live in a world of peace - to walk in the road without the fear of being shot dead. This Catholic and Protestant did not engage themselves in such iniquitous activities - rather they came up with this brilliant idea of uniting fellow human beings disregard of their cast, creed, religion, color or race. And they chose sports as their medium of unification targeting the young generation hoping that playing together would also teach them to live together. Very aptly these 2 wonderful gentlemen were awarded the ESPY Author Ashe award.

So that was my tryst with ESPN channel and it proved to be an awesome evening indeed! From time to time I might even tune in YESPEN and see what’s interesting in it too!
With more thoughts...

No comments: