Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Origami

I was not sure when I became a fan of Origami. As such many of us would have had our share of origami - atleast by making paper boats and playing in the stagnated rain water! Oh yeah - we would create the smallest of all the boats and then the biggest giant boats would come - Wow - way back in past such small activities were enough to create joyous moments.

The adult mind of mine rather yearns to have new hobbies - hobbies that I could continue religiously. But atleast in the process of searching for new hobbies, I land up coming across a plethora of ideas and I do also learn a little about some of the interesting hobbies. Origami was one such favorite option of hobby for me. Though I do not try out a lot nor follow it sacredly, I took time to learn few origamies and tried a couple of papers objects that fascinated me.

Though the end product of the Tulip that I tried never matched the jpeg image in the walkthru online guide, I appreciated myself with a smug glow of self-congratulations! Well had I used the proper one side colored origami paper, my tulip would have looked even more beautiful. Not bad at all for a beginner. Now enough of self-appreciation and boasting. Here are some wonderful things that comes associated with the umbrella of Origami.

Storigami - This concept was my favorite. A storigami as the word tells you is you end making up an origami product by telling a story. Each fold of the origami is associated with a portion of the story. The sequence of folds involved now becomes part of the story, manking it easier to remember and a fun way to do. The storigami is born from our imagination - meaning, you can invent your own storigami to the origami that you prepare - making you remember the steps even if you are woken up in the middle of the night.

Just like many learning process - origami learning can also be divided into simple, inter and the advanced origamies depending upon the complexity of the folds involved. Well let me finish the blog with some historical updates - I had often thought Origami originated in Japan - much to my surprise it was originated in China and was carried over to Japan. The Chinese name was Zhe Zhi, however the Japanese name - Origami (Oru meaning fold and kami meaning paper in Japanese) became the famous catch phrase and here we are still using it - and there I was thinking the Japanese invented it! Well who ever found this - its a pretty interesting hobby to pursue!
With more thoughts...

No comments: