Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Oryctolagus cuniculus And The Like

It looks like the hangover of Binomial Nomenclature still continues - No wonder the title of this blog is the biological name for a European Rabbit! Yes, yes, yes - this blog is all about our Animal Planet! Probably my wife would just love this blog, she being a fervent animal lover and supporter! Probably she is the apt candidate for taking up the role of the Head of SPCA!

Something out of normal happened at our office today. An aberration that I just loved. One of my friends had brought 2 leverets (well the young ones of rabbits are called so) - they were like 3 months old cuties. One was dark in color and the other a white one with streaks of brown! She had put them in a relatively big box in which these two guys were happily sitting. Rabbits are those gregarious mammals which are more active during dawn and dusk - Animal lovers would call it with one word - 'Crepuscular'.

My dear ex manager Jithesh forced me to part my baby carrot that I had got for lunch and well - definitely not with so much reluctance, I took it out and dropped it in the cardboard box. Much much to my happiness, the darker one started to gnaw it - Infact I thought it was hungry when I saw it gnawing the cardboard itself! So an act of philanthropy - er - directed to a rabbit though! It was quite an experience to touch them and to see them jumping in that little space. I had never been that close with a rabbit and it brought out the child (perhaps the animal lover?) in me.

So then while we were driving back home, we were having this discussion about pets and which pet would be easy to maintain, would live considerably longer and there were so many points that we went through. From fishes to dogs, parrots to love birds, there were a whole lot of options, but the thing is, one should really have the time and love to spare for these pets. In this hurried world that we live, its good to see some people who do care for animals. One of my friends mom used to say that more than two of her own daughters, she loved her dog and indeed the dog was treated royally in her house!

Well, its now supper time for me – Got to think about the menu!

With More Thoughts…

No comments: